7 Methods of Obtaining Healing Through the Word
TOC Table of Content
3. (1) Use the Name of Jesus against the devil.
5. (2) Pray for healing to the Father in the Name of Jesus.
9. (4) Anoint with oil by James 5:14.
12. (5) Receive healing through the laying on of hands.
7 Methods of Obtaining Healing Through the Word. There are several methods in the Word whereby healings can be obtained. Several methods in the Wordwhereby healings can be obtained. Because everybody’s faith is not on the same level, God has provided seven methods by which physical healings can be obtained through the Word of God.
God does not leave us stranded.
If we cannot rise to meet Him on His level, He will come down to meet us on ours.
(1) Use the Name of Jesus against the devil.
- Demand in the Name of Jesus that the disease and sickness leave.
- And whatsoever ye shall ASK in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ASK anything in my name, I will do it.
- Jesus is not talking about prayer in these verses.
- (He was talking about prayer in John 16:23, when He said, ‘”Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it to you.” That is a prayer.)
The word “ask” in these verses has the stronger meaning of “demand” in the original Greek. Jesus said, “Whatever you ask—whatever you demand—in my Name, I will do.”
All through the Acts of the Apostles, the apostles did not pray for the sick; they demanded that they get up and walk.
- When Peter and John ministered to the lame man at the Gate Beautiful (Acts 3), they “demanded” in the Name of Jesus (it says in Greek), that he rise and walk.
- You have a right to “demand” in the Name of Jesus that people be healed. You are not demanding it of God; He did not make them sick in the first place.
- You are demanding that the devil turn them loose in the Name of Jesus.
- Jesus said, ‘IN MY NAME they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover” (Mark 16:17,18). “IN MY NAME they will do it.” Hallelujah, there is power in the Name.
(2) Pray for healing to the Father in the Name of Jesus.
- And IN THAT DAY ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father IN MY NAME, he will give it to you. Hitherto have ye asked nothing IN MY NAME: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. —John 16:23,24
- Mark these verses in your Bible. Don’t let them get away from you.
- When Jesus said “in that day ye shall ask me nothing,” what day was He talking about? He was talking about the day that we are living in right now. Praying to the Father in the Name of
Jesus belongs to us NOW—in this day.
- Jesus said that just before He went to Calvary to die, be raised from the dead, ascend on high, and sit at the right hand of the Father, after which a new day dawned, and we came into the
- New Covenant. Notice the 24th verse says, “Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name.” Hitherto means up until now until this time you have not prayed in My Name.
In the Old Covenant, they prayed to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
- You see, it would not have done the disciples or anybody else any good to have prayed to the Father in the Name of Jesus while Jesus was here on earth, because, under the Old Covenant, they prayed to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
- Furthermore, when Jesus was here on earth, He had not yet entered into His mediatorial (high priestly or intercessory) ministry at the right hand of the Father, so it would not have done any good to have prayed in His Name.
(3) Agree in prayer based on Matthew 18:19.
- If two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together IN MY NAME, there am I amid them.—Matthew 18:19,20
- “If two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything. . .IT SHALL BE.” Jesus did not say it might be. He did not say it is a possibility. “IT SHALL BE DONE for them of my
- Father which is in heaven.” Now that is either the truth or a lie, and I believe that Jesus told the truth!
- Many times people come up to me after a service and ask me to agree with them in prayer for financial, physical, and spiritual needs.
(4) Anoint with oil by James 5:14.
- Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him; and if he has committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. —James 5:14,15
- First-century believers did not have a New Testament.
- They had some letters that could be passed around from church to church, but they did not have a Bible to study as we do.
They did not know that Peter had written by the Spirit of God “by whose stripes ye WERE healed” (1 Peter 2:24).
- But we know that.
- If they could walk in health, how much more should we in this generation, with all the knowledge we have?
- There really ought not to be any sick among us but “Is any sick among you?” James is talking to the church here, because he said, “let him call for the elders of the church.”
Thank God, even if people have missed it and sinned, there is help for them.
- Notice James says, “if he has committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.”
- The Bible teaches that there is a similarity between physical and spiritual growth: “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2).
(5) Receive healing through the laying on of hands.
- And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. —Mark 16:15-18 (The Great Commission)
When Jesus gave The Great Commission, He said, “They shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover” (v. 18).
- Laying hands on the sick is another method by which healing can be obtained.
- It belongs to the Church today.
- Who can lay hands on people?
- All believers.
- All those who have believed the Gospel.
- Notice that our text says, “them that believe they shall lay hands on the sick” (w. 17,18).
(6) Receive healings through gifts of healings.
- First Corinthians 12:9 says that one of the spiritual gifts God has placed in the Church is gifts of healings—which is separate from the other methods to obtain healing.
What are “gifts of healings”?
- It is a supernatural manifestation of healing power from one individual to another.
- That is the simplest way to state it.
- Anything we get from God is a gift.
- Therefore, generally speaking, any healing would be a gift. But that is not a manifestation of the “gifts of healings.” Manifestations of the
gifts of healings are initiated by the Holy Spirit.
- After I was baptized in the Holy Spirit, I still did not understand the Spirit of God. All I knew was that I was filled with the Holy Spirit.
- After I received “the left foot of fellowship” from among the Baptists, I aligned myself with one of the Full Gospel groups and accepted the pastorate of a small church.
(7) Know that healing belongs to you.
- The best method by which you can be healed is to know for yourself from our text Scriptures (Isaiah 53:4,5, Matthew 8:17, and First Peter 2:24) that healing is in God’s redemptive plan; it belongs to you, and by His stripes, we are healed.
We refuse to allow disease or sickness in our bodies because we ARE healed.
- We know that the pain, sickness, or disease that seems to be in our bodies was laid on Jesus.
- He bore it.
- We do not need to bear it.
- All we need to do is agree with God and His Word and accept the fact that “himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses” and “with his stripes, we are healed.”
We simply know it, so we thank God.
- We don’t have to have anybody lay hands on us. We don’t have to have any manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit. We simply thank the
Father for our perfect deliverance.
- All believers should thoroughly understand that their healing was consummated in Christ.
- When they come to know that in their spirits just as they know it in their heads that will be the end of sickness and disease in their bodies.
- But all believers do not thoroughly understand that acting on the Scriptures is a method of receiving divine healing.
- All believers have not been taught it.
- This truth has not been preached as it should even among those who supposedly believe in divine healing.
- Therefore, believers’ information is slight in this area, and you cannot operate and believe beyond knowledge.
- That is why God has provided these seven methods by which believers can be healed through the Word.
- 7 Methods of Obtaining Healing Through the Word.