The Best Brain Foods for Eating Your Way Smarter
The Best Brain Foods for Eating Your Way Smarter. When you think of becoming smarter, you probably think about studying hard, doing lots of math, and generally putting in time and effort. But what if I told you that you could get smarter by eating?
We all love eating, so in theory, this should be no hardship at all.
But if you choose your foods wisely, you’ll find it can make a significant difference to your brain function and overall mental performance. So, without further ado, here are some of the top brain foods.
The Best Brain Foods for Eating Your Way Smarter: Number One
- Oily fish is crucial for optimum brain health.
- Because it contains omega 3 fatty acids.
- This benefits our brain in two ways.
- Firstly, omega 3 fatty acids can be used to build cell walls.
- It is incorporated into their formulation, which means that lesser materials get replaced.
- In turn, this results in brain cells that are more flexible, more fluid, and less likely to become damaged.
- Better yet, this also increases ‘cell membrane permeability.
- In simple English, this means that neurotransmitters, nutrients, and key signals will pass through the cell walls more easily, allowing for speedier transmissions and improved communication across synapses.
- On top of all this, omega 3 fatty acid also fights inflammation.
- Inflammation is a big deal in the brain, where pro-inflammatory cytokines can cause serious damage if left to their own devices.
- Brain inflammation is probably responsible for brain fog, so this is a quick and effective brain upgrade.
The Best Brain Foods for Eating Your Way Smarter: Number Two
- Eggs contain all of the essential amino acids that humans need to thrive.
- This means that it contains all the proteins that are used to build muscle, skin, bone, and neurochemicals.
- But what eggs also contain is choline.
- Choline is a chemical precursor to acetylcholine, meaning that it is what the brain uses to synthesize that ingredient.
- This is important for us because acetylcholine is the primary excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain alongside glutamate.
- This means it is used in many important operations and particularly when it comes to memory!
The Best Brain Foods for Eating Your Way Smarter: Number Three
- Avocado is a healthy saturated fat, which is important because the brain is largely made from fat.
- It’s also another source of omega 3 fatty acid.
- But what is most exciting of all is that it contains lutein a carotenoid that used to be known primarily for its eye-health benefits but which has since come to be seen as a powerful cognitive enhancer and energy booster!