Careers In Blogging
Careers In Blogging. Many freelance writers are beginning to find blogging is one of the newest career opportunities available to them. Blogging is essentially a series of postings on a particular subject that are listed in reverse chronological order.
- These blogs may be about a variety of different subjects and may be personal, political, informative, humorous or any other category desired by the blogger.
However, the key to a successful blog is a blog that pertains to a subject that appeals to a wide audience.
- Additionally, the blog should be updated regularly and should provide useful content to the readers of the blog.
- This article will provide some information on finding career opportunities in blogging, will discuss the benefits of this type of career, and will provide information on how writers can manage a blog successfully.
Finding Blogging Career Opportunities
- Although blogging career opportunities are becoming increasingly popular, many writers are not aware of how to find these wonderful opportunities.
- These career opportunities may be offered as ghostwriting positions or as positions offering a byline to the writer and finding these blogging opportunities is often very similar to finding any other career opportunities for writers.
- Companies seeking a blogger may post the job opening in the same manner in which they would post other openings with the company such as accounting positions or administrative positions.
- Therefore, writers interested in a position as a blogger should utilize the same job search websites they rely on to find other career opportunities.
Bloggers may also wish to visit career websites and message boards which focus exclusively on careers in blogging.
- The ProBlogger.net website is just one example of a website dedicated exclusively to putting bloggers in connection with those who are interested in hiring a writer for a particular blog.
- Interested bloggers should also consider joining message boards for those who blog for a living.
- This can be beneficial because here bloggers are likely to share information regarding the companies for which they work as well as any information they have about companies who are currently looking to hire bloggers.
The Benefits of a Career in Blogging
- There are many benefits to pursuing a career in blogging.
- Perhaps one of the most alluring benefits to a career in blogging is the work can typically be done as a telecommute position.
- This is because as long as the blogger has access to the software necessary to write and upload a blog, there is no need for the blogger to perform the work from a specific location.
- This means the blogger can reside virtually anywhere in the world and can likely perform the necessary work from his own home.
- However, not all blogging positions are telecommuting positions.
Some companies may require bloggers to perform the work onsite as a matter of personal preference.
- Another benefit to a career in blogging is the ability to accomplish work at a pace that is convenient to the blogger.
- The blogger may be required to upload a new post to the blog according to a regular schedule but the actual writing of the posts can be accomplished when it is convenient for the blogger.
- Many blogging software packages enable the blogger to set a specific time for a specific post to be uploaded.
- This allows the blogger to write several posts at a time and have them publish according to a pre-determined schedule.
Finding Time to Blog
- One of the problems which many bloggers face is finding the time to blog.
- This is especially difficult if the blogger maintains several blogs or if the blogger maintains a current events blog in which posts must be timely to be relevant and of interest to the readers.
- Writing blog posts in batches and scheduling them to publish as needed is one way to deal with managing several blogs.
- However, writers of blogs related to current events must take special care to budget their time wisely to ensure they are publishing topical blog posts.
- One way this can be accomplished is by setting aside time daily to reading current events to derive inspiration and then scheduling time after that to write and publish the blog.
- For example, a blogger with a current events blog might choose to review the previous day’s news the first thing in the morning to ensure they are reviewing all of the relevant news from the previous day before writing the blog post.
Get Started With Your First Blog
There is no question that blogging is one of the best ways to get keyword-rich content on your site, get your message on the search engines, and get traffic to your website.
But how do you get started blogging?
- When you consider starting a blog there are many options.
- A great way to get started blogging quickly (and for free) is to use an online ‘standalone’ service like WordPress or Google’s Blogger.
- These are free, highly customizable tools that support both new and more advanced bloggers.
- The negative is that you can’t use your website’s domain name.
- For instance, if using Blogger, your blog address would be something like ‘yourblog.blogspot.com.’
- While you can link to this from your current website, search engines won’t know to give you ‘credit’ for the extra content since it is a different domain.
- With creative cross-linking however, you can still benefit from the increased exposure you can get from a blog.
These free services provide powerful software tools that balance value, quality, and ease of use.
- While some people prefer to use more basic blog services, they too can truly benefit from the ‘built-in’ benefits of WordPress or Blogger along with its existing large community of users.
- One of the most notable benefits of these services is the ease of use, and advanced functionality of the service compared to some blog software applications.
Blogger nor WordPress
- Neither Blogger nor WordPress require you to know any ‘coding’ and allow you to built and post to your blog with easy-to-use icons similar to what one would see in a word processing program.
- Having the ability to utilize a program like this allows people to create blogs that are as high tech, and complete as full-blown websites.
- If you are occasionally ‘offline’ you can benefit from WordPress’s ability to import posts.
- This means you can put your blog together while you are not connected to the internet and then import it later.
- If you already use another blogging service such you can also import your posts directly into Blogger or WordPress.
- Another benefit of these services is their large widget or element and theme libraries that allow you to instantly add useful features and professional-looking styles to your blog.
A very simple drag and drop interface allows you to add features such as an RSS feed with a few clicks.
- Another option to consider would be blogging software that you can directly integrate into your website.
- Some hosting provides such as GoDaddy allows you to use your existing domain name for your blog.
The benefit is that the content of your blog becomes part of what search engines see for your domain.
- In these cases, you are more likely to pay a monthly add-on fee to your hosting provider.
- As an alternative, Google’s Blogger allows you to publish to an FTP site, which means you can blog from your domain.
- You lose some of the flexibility of the ‘out of the box service, but with a little effort, you can have a customized template and pretty easy posting capability that resides within your domain.
- As your needs become more advanced or if you are a more technical blogger you may also consider blogging software that can be directly integrated into your website.
One to consider is a blog.
- The blog is an open-source, PHP/MySQL application.
- If you don’t know what the last sentence means, then this isn’t for you.
- If you do know, then you may benefit from the expanded flexibility an integrated application could provide.
- In the end, you have a wide, wide range of very inexpensive (or free) options to get started.